Home page view of Bahr's Mill.

Bahr's Mill

spacer

PAST

HISTORY CHART

PRESENT

FUTURE

WATER WHEEL

OLIVER EVANS NOTES

DONATE


Click for a secure transaction.

MUSEUM SHOP

ORDER FORM

LINKS

VIRTUAL TOUR

Bahr's Mill is a stone mill building built in 1897 to house Jacob Bahr's (pronounced Bear) woodworking and grist mill business. It is part of a farm complex in the village of Gabelsville, Berks County, Pennsylvania, 1 mile north and west of the center of Boyertown. The site was home to a linseed oil mill from before 1828 until the 1890's, and woodworking machinery was installed in the early 1870's. The machinery, which includes a duplicating lathe, a polishing machine (belt sander) and a spoke-tenoning machine, has 1870 and 1871 patent dates. There are also two standard lathes, both over 10 feet long.

The mill was water-powered by the overshot wheel until severe flooding in 1938, when the dam washed out. Also, in 1945, the Bahr Family won a contract from the Boyertown Burial Casket Company for the sawmill (across the street), requiring more hours of operation than the millponds could provide. At that time, the woodworking business was largely ignored until Lawrence Bahr closed the sawmill in 1967.

Today the mill, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is being restored inside and out. We are cleaning and oiling the machinery, and have finally built a bathroom. Since 1998, our first year of being open as a museum we have had over 3000 visitors! The mill is open summer weekends from 11 - 4, and other times by appointment.


Take a virtual tour of Bahr's Mill